Home > Tech Tips > How to Add or Insert Pictures in Outlook Web Access?

How to Add or Insert Pictures in Outlook Web Access?

My employer started rolling out Outlook Web Access to all employees and it was a much welcomed change from the old and aging Lotus Notes email system. All went well, except for the missing functionality of inserting a picture or screen print in an email. I believe in the saying that “a picture is worth more than a thousand words” and I tend to use screenshots and snagit on a regular basis.

I kept using the Outlook client anytime I want to copy and paste a picture, until a friend showed me how to enable Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) in Outlook Web Mail. Listed below are the steps I followed in Outlook Web Access to enable copy and paste. (version 2003 and above)

1) Access Outlook Web Access Email and click on “options” (top-right corner)
2) Click on Email Security. If you a see a screen like the one below, that means you are missing the MIME control that will enable you to insert pictures.

Outlook web access email security page showing MIME control not installed

Outlook web access email security page showing MIME control not installed

3) Click “Download the Outlook Web Access S/MIME control” and install the client.
4) After installing the MIME control, check the Email Security page to ensure that the components were installed correctly.
Outlook web access email security page showing MIME control installed

Outlook web access email security page showing MIME control installed

Now start writing a new email and “copy paste pictures” at will….

Outlook web access new email with picture inserted

Outlook web access new email with picture inserted

If you know a better way to enable copy and paste option for Outlook Web Access, feel free to make an entry in the comments.

Categories: Tech Tips Tags:
  1. S. Dunbar
    March 27th, 2011 at 10:24 | #1

Bravo. Thank you. I too paste many screen shots into emails and this apparent lack of feature has been bugging the hell out of me for weeks. It would be really nice if OWA was a lot more intuitive about such a simple thing- and why are graphics such a security risk anyway???

2. Elin WN
    August 15th, 2011 at 03:11 | #2

Thanks a lot. I had problems of pasting text into OWA (never tried with pictures!) – I had to enable the first time in each mail it but it stopped functioning after 1-2 copy and paste. After installing MIME control I could not longer right-click to paste (alternative greyed out), but Ctrl-V was working. Maybe it has something to do with right-click-bug noted here: http://its.mhc.edu/owa/FAQ.html#Copy%20and%20Pasting%20information

3. vgeorge
    August 23rd, 2011 at 15:55 | #3

I only use Ctrl-V and it is working fine with IE 7.

4. ceac
    October 5th, 2011 at 06:13 | #4

Thanks, this works for me but only with Ctrl-v and I had to install an add-on from Microsoft as well – popped up the first time I wrote an email message and couldn’t paste screenshots without it.

5. Anonymous
    December 13th, 2011 at 15:53 | #5

Thanks ..just what I was looking for

6. Sergio C
    December 21st, 2011 at 16:54 | #6

Wonderful solution, bowing to you.

7. Srinivas
    December 25th, 2011 at 03:57 | #7

Hi.
    Is it possible to copy the screen shots in MS Outlook web access 2003? I tried the above procedure, still i am unable to copy..Please advise..

8. Pete
    February 3rd, 2012 at 13:40 | #8

Thank you! I have been looking for a solution for this problem for a while. Who knew it would be so easy to solve?

9. Julia
    April 4th, 2012 at 16:25 | #9

I discovered this about a year ago after many clients only gave me web Outlook and I needed to send screen shots. However, at my current client, it suddenly stopped working. I see the shot as I compose my email, but the receipient either gets a blank or a message ERROR! FILE NAME NOT FOUND.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

10. May 22nd, 2012 at 06:07 | #10

Hi

I am having difficulty adding a logo and image to my email signature on OWA….I would like to use this fix but unfortunately as a remote user my system does not allow me any access to the screens that are listed …..is there any other way of adding images/logos that can be done easily…..I am most surprised that Microsoft dont seem to have addressed this problem as it can be done easily on normal outlook…Please advise

11. Hiren
    September 21st, 2012 at 04:33 | #11

It worked fine for me. Thanks a lot!

12. Urban
    January 18th, 2013 at 06:02 | #12

Many Thanks, But remember, it will only work on Internet Explorer.

13. May 23rd, 2013 at 09:18 | #13

Many Thanks, it worked!!!

14. Urban
    November 12th, 2013 at 08:38 | #14

Recently, some changes are made. First we need to disable “Use Outlook Web Access Lite” as we want to use premium services. In Internet explorer 11, we may need to add website in compatibility mode. For that go to Tool –>Compatibility view setting and add website. Now we can disable”use outlook webaccess Lite”

Once we logon, we may not see “email security tab” under options. for that go to options –> accessibility and un-check “use blind experience” save it. logoff and logon again.

1. No trackbacks yet.